Friday, February 1, 2008

Why the Nickname "Queenie"

Short story #1.
2001. Head to New York to brief some analysts. Two marketing guys and me. Board a plane. Seated together. Arrive at our row. I leave my roll-on suitcase on the ground and look at marketing guy #1 (also a good friend) and don't say anything. But my look says "Will you please pick my heavy bag up and put it in the overhead bin?" His response is "You expect me to pick up your heavy bag and put it in the overhead bin?" I don't reply. I just sit down.

Short story #2.
Arrive at destination. Rent a car. Marketing guy#1 goes to the driver side. Marketing guy #2 gets in the passenger front seat. I stand there, outside his window. Rolls window down and says "You actually expect me to open the door for you?" I just glare. He gets out and opens the door. I get in but I don't close the door. He says "Jesus H Christ! You even expect me to close the #$!@! door!!? Who do you think you are, the princessa?" Marketing guy #1 replies, "No, the Queen."

Short story #3
6 months later. Downtown San Francisco. With same group of guys plus more. Hole in the wall restaurant, apparently good, local, Asian food, only counter seating. Food is served in one plate: chicken, veggies, rice, salad, fruit, sauce-you name it, it's in there. I ask if I can have everything in small, separate plates. Explain I don't like my food touching each other. Chef/owner /tiny Asian grandma looks at me and says "You like dowager empress. No like food touching."

I think I earned the nickname.

1 comments:

Greeley's Ghost said...

Would love to have you "out" the marketing guys....
; )