Monday, February 4, 2008

Radical Election Thought

Yay! We've finally gotten to a point where we have both a woman AND an African American candidate. Bravo! It's about time. But, I am left perplexed about the perspective of some African Americans, sparked by an episode of "The View" I watched a couple weeks ago. Discussion centered on Barak Obama and his choice of an African American wife. (Little discussion on her intelligence and qualities as a good woman). Question was, "If he had married a white woman, would this irk African American women?" Whoopi and the other African American host (don't know her name - don't watch often enough) said yes -the thought being "Why isn't an African American woman good enough for him?"

Now, isn't Mr. Obama half white? Did white women everywhere get offended that he didn't marry one of them? Did they think they weren't good enough? I doubt they even thought about it. If African Americans everywhere want equality, then what makes a half African American -half white person, more of one and less of the other?

I don't get it. Or maybe I do and I'm just blind to it all. I'm of mixed heritage Being part Spanish and part Filipina (which is a lot of Spanish, considering the Philippines was under Spain for 300 years) and I'm more confused about my race, and my children are, as well. One of them had to fill up a school form the other day and asked me, "Mom, what do I check - Hispanic/Latino or Pacific Islander?" I looked at her and said "Gee, I don't know! How about you check both and write 50 percent in each box?" She pushed on and kept at it "Yeah, but what am I!?" I left it at, "You're equal parts and that makes up a whole," I said. If she married a Spaniard, would all the Filipino women rise up in anger? Or vice versa? Is it the one with the persecution complex that gets the louder voice? I brought up my children to be proud Americans, bloodline notwithstanding.

Not daring to define a true "American" today, we in California are probably a little more color blind because we are a true melting pot. At least that's my perspective. But I'd like to believe that the next generation will think differently (or not at all) about racial issues than the prior generation- and hopefully gender issues as well.

This election is an inflection point. I think we should celebrate the progress we've made and work hard to move it forward.

0 comments: